Thursday, March 11, 2010
Wayland High School
Language Building L-1
HSBC members: Lea Anderson, Josh Bekenstein, Dianne Bladon, Brian Chase, Jim Howard, Fred Knight, David Lash, Mary Lentz, Cindy Lombardo, Eric Sheffels, Jennifer Steel
Absent: Joe Lewin
HMFH team: Steven Millington
KVA team: David Saindon
Shawmut team: Tom Goemaat, Chris Semlies
Ex Officio members: Gary Burton, Louis Jurist, John Moynihan, Pat Tutwiler
Call to order – HSBC Chairman, Lea Anderson, called the HSBC meeting to order at 7:15 p.m.
1. Construction Manager Procurement update – David Saindon reported that the selected CM at Risk firm, Shawmut Design and Construction, has been approved by the School Committee and has received a “letter to proceed” while the contract is being developed. Lea welcomed Shawmut CEO, Tom Goemaat, and Project Manager, Chris Semlies to the table.
2. Project Permitting update – David reported as follows:
Š Board of Health and Planning Board held a joint hearing on the site plan on March 2. The Board of Health approved three variances for the wastewater treatment plant (WWTP).
Set back of leaching field at 50 feet
Smaller reserve area (leaching field) as approved by DEP
Lower flow as approved by DEP
Š Conservation Commission held a hearing on the Notice of Intent on Feb. 25. The hearing has been continued to March 18. The ConCom has hired a peer reviewer, Lisa Eggleston, who met with Aaron Gallagher of Nitsch Engineering, Brian Monahan, and John Moynihan. Lisa has presented a letter on completeness of the Notice of Intent with 18 items identified. John Moynihan reported that Nitsch agreed to resubmit documents this week. Brian Monahan suggested a written update and request for continuance at the March 18th ConCom hearing to April 1. John Moynihan will coordinate this.
Š Planning Board has hired a peer reviewer, Will Gates, who has met with John, Steve and landscape designer, Mary Webb. Many good suggestions are being considered for improving the site plan.
3. HMFH Contract – David reported that the HMFH contract is very close to being presented to the HSBC. The pricing is set and the language is being worked out. Both Bob Garrity and Mark Lanza have reviewed it. We expect to have the final contract for approval at the March 25th HSBC meeting.
4. LOA/Invoice process – David reviewed the Letter of Authorization and Invoice process agreed to by John Moynihan, Joy Buhler, Dianne Bladon, and Lea Anderson. There are three scenarios:
o A Letter of Authorization will be presented by KVA to the HSBC for approval for expenditures such as legal services and peer reviews. Joy Buhler will take the approved LOA to School Committee for their authorization for payment.
o KVA invoices will be sent to Lea and reviewed by Joe Lewin and Eric Sheffels. KVA invoices will be included in the invoice package at the next HSBC meeting for approval. Joy will then take the invoice package to the next School Committee meeting for authorization for payment.
o All other invoices (originals) will be sent to Joy Buhler who will send them to David Saindon and John Moynihan for review and approval. KVA provides a summary of invoices at the HSBC meeting for approval. Joy takes the approved package of invoices to the School Committee for authorization for payment.
Eric Sheffels asked David to provide a budget change log. He recommended that John Moynihan have authority to approve changes to budget line items. The HSBC concurred. The HSBC should be made aware of areas over or under budget in the 3011 summary form presented to MSBA on a monthly basis. The HSBC will receive a hard copy of the monthly budget report. A question was raised about keeping track of reimburseables.
1. Steve Millington reviewed changes to the commons courtyard plan that allow foot traffic to flow more smoothly. The paved area has been increased. Steve said that he will consider pervious pavement for the courtyard. A meeting with Sarkis Sarkisian, Town Planner, and Will Gates, peer reviewer, resulted in suggestions to reconsider the small parking lot closest to the main entrance. The HSBC discussed the value of reducing the parking by about 24 spaces and adding more grass adjacent to the courtyard. Comments were:
Š Design includes a total of 486 parking spaces with 10 for handicap accessibility.
Š Reducing parking by 24 spaces (close to 5%) has an impact.
Š Might we increase the upper lot to make up for this reduction?
Š There is an aesthetic value to having grass instead of parking spaces.
Š It is important to have some spaces for visitors close to the main entrance.
Š Given the utilization and capacity of the space, we should leave it as designed.
Steve was directed to leave the parking area as shown.
2. Two pathways with stairs have been added to the upper parking lot so there are now three paths to access the lot. This addresses a concern expressed at the March 2nd Planning Board hearing.
3. Seating is planned for the perimeter of the courtyard.
4. Steve was asked to think again about ways to screen the loading dock area on the north of the commons building. It is now in the direct line of sight when driving towards the building.
5. The Water Department is proposing moving water mains. This will be coordinated with the High School project.
6. Dr. Burton has reviewed the security plan, which includes installing five cameras outside the buildings. He will review this with the School Committee.
7. Steve reported that the Technology Working Group met last week. John Page, a contractor specializing in data networking joined Leisha Simon, Technology Director. Everything they are requesting is part of the standard design proposed by GGD. Sound enhancement technology was discussed. Marlene Moscowitz-Dodyk, Student Services Director, was satisfied with the proposed design.
8. Follow up technology meeting will address computer labs. Music department has asked if more midi labs are possible for a total of 12-15. Eight are currently planned in the Chorus room. Can others be located in a multi-purpose space?
9. Steve was asked to think about appropriately spaced, painted roof top units instead of screening as a more cost effective, yet equally attractive approach.
10. The MSBA is revising space standards to more closely tie to high school programs. There might be areas where the new standards allow Steve some flexibility in design. There is no intention of changing the building envelope or scope at this late date. David will talk to John Jumpe to see how we might make this type of request.
Schedule – David reported that the 60-day look ahead includes hiring a structural peer reviewer, developing early scope packages, appointing a pre-qualification committee at our next meeting, and revising the phasing plan.
HMFH, KVA, and Shawmut have met to discuss the overall schedule to determine if a September 2011 delivery of the buildings is possible. The current schedule calls for a December 2011 delivery with project completion in the summer of 2012. David reported that the goals are to save money by buying as much as we can early and to enclose buildings by winter. He said that the bid packages would have to go out as follows:
§ Site, concrete, and steel by May 1
§ Envelope package by June1
§ Everything else by Sept. 1
Š The reason for doing this accelerated schedule is to save time and money. Why wouldn’t we try it?
Š From an operational point of view, John Moynihan has concerns about moving into the new building in a much shorter period of time.
Š Project design would be ended very soon. There would be no time to consider suggestions of the HSBC, staff, and others.
Š We need to give HMFH time for filed sub-bid trades.
Š Schedule of events, both school and community, are needed for coordination starting this summer.
Š Updated payment schedule should be communicated to the Finance Director.
WayCAM update – Lea reported for Dianne Bladon that the WayCAM working group set up by the Board of Selectmen had reached a conclusion. They recommend locating the WayCAM studio at WHS because of its value to the educational program, WayCAM’s dependence on student volunteers, and cost. Dr. Burton reported that he had attended a meeting where the educational aspect of WayCAM was discussed.
Steve recommended that the best on-site location for WayCAM would be to attach it to the field house as part of the rebuilt weight room, which is planned for storage space. He suggested designing it now, at least as a shell, as a bid alternate. If WayCAM finds a way to pay for it, then it will be built. If not, then it will be deleted.
Steve offered to do the design of the shell within his budget, so that there is a chance of accommodating WayCAM. He cannot wait for a fall town meeting to decide on funding the design. The HSBC thanked Steve for his magnanimous offer. The group agreed that locating WayCAM on the high school site is the best option and that working toward this end is the right thing to do.
David and Steve will work on a cost estimate and get back to the committee.
Letter of Authorization and Invoices – David Saindon presented an LOA and summary of invoices for approval by the committee.
Motion: A motion was made by Mary Lentz and seconded by Cindy Lombardo to approve an LOA for $3,850 for a peer review on behalf of the Conservation Commission.
Vote: The motion was approved unanimously: 10 in favor, 0 opposed.
Motion: A motion was made by Mary Lentz and seconded by Josh Bekenstein to approve the invoices totaling $41,172.50.
Vote: The motion was approved unanimously: 10 in favor, 0 opposed.
Motion: A motion was made by Mary Lentz and seconded by David Lash to approve the minutes to HSBC meeting #93 held on Feb. 23, 2010.
Vote: The motion was approved: 9 in favor, 1 abstention
Adjournment – The HSBC adjourned at 9:37 pm.
Next regular meeting – Thursday, March 25 at 7:00 pm in the School Committee conference room on the second floor of the Wayland Town Building.
Observers: Suzanne Geiger, Nick Hoey
Comments from the public: none